Recycling - what can I recycle?
- Any paper and/ or cardboard
- Cans - Aluminium or Steel
- Plastics - bottles, fizz, milk bottles (These
must be washed and squashed and tops removed)
- Glass bottle and jars only - not plate glass or ceramics
(green, clear and brown glass must be separated)
Find out more about kerbside recycling and where else you can take
Dogs - do I have to microchip my dog?
You will need to microchip your dog if:
- you are registering your dog for the first time in your local
- your dog is classified as dangerous
- your dog is classified as menacing
- your dog has been impounded for the second time.
Find out more about microchipping
Swimming Pools - why does my swimming pool need to be fenced?
All swimming and spa pools and hot tubs are required to be
fenced under the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act 1987.
Dogs - where can I exercise my dog?
Palmerston North has a number of dog exercise areas.
some the city's great parks and reserves.
What can I do if I see someone tagging or if there is graffiti
on my property?
Consult our graffiti information page
Contact our Customer
Building - I am doing renovations to my house. Do I need a permit?
As a rule of thumb, yes.
There are some exemptions from the requirements to have a
building consent. Please refer to the Department of Building and
Housing's "A guide to building work that does not require a
building consent" by clicking here.
If you are unsure as to whether the proposed work is
exempt, you should bring your proposed plans to our Customer
Service Centre where the Duty Building Officer will provide
guidance as to whether the work you are planning is exempt.
Find out more about building consents